Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary at the Baha'i House of Worship


the beautiful inlay work inside the dome



It has been 15 years ago since I got married in Washington DC at the Baha'i Centre there and that I had lived in the US for more than a decade (did spend some time in between in Singapore).

Yet it was only now that I finally made it to the House of Worship in Wilmette, USA. I have since now visited 4 other Houses of Worhsip around the world i.e. the House of Worship in Frankfurt, Samoa, India and Australia- and this was my very first time at the Baha'i House of Worship in Wilmette. What a special occasion to come here though and this made it even more memorable.

What made it also a blessing was that on our visit to the House of Worship, we ran into the Music Director there, Van Gilmer, who actually sang at our wedding on that very day 15 years ago. I was a member of the DC Baha'i choir, and so was he. The DC choir so lovingly offered to sing at my wedding. Van Gilmer gave such a touching solo rendition of the Unity Prayer at my wedding, that I was moved to tears. I shall never forget this very special soul and am grateful to have met him again now. He had helped make my wedding a special occasion and now running into him again on my wedding anniversary made it special once again. Here are some pictures I took to remember the special nature of our day there.

with Van Gilmer

We saw so many special artifacts also at the House of Worship. There was the chair that was used by Abdul Baha, and the stone which was humbly donated by a Baha'i of humble background, which she carried it all the way to the place of the House of Worship as her contribution to its construction. Abdul Baha acknowledged her sincere contribution by naming it the cornerstone of the temple. It still resides there and is set in a room for meditation and prayer.


Abdul Baha's Chair




Abdul Baha named this the cornerstone of the temple.




Just outside this room with the sacred artifacts, is a room with many murals sewn together using quotes from the Promise of World Peace.






After the visit at the House of Worship, we were kindly brought around by a friend, Charles Cooper, to visit the National Baha'i Centre. Charles and us go way back. and in fact we visited him in Seattle during our honeymoon 15 years ago, and during that time my husband and him started architecting the creation of the Baha'i Computer and Communciations Association (BCCA).

At the National Centre, we met with many dedicated Baha'is. Whilst I was in the basement room having snacks with my children, many lovely people came by to say Hello. I was then invited to come visit the Baha'i Office of Pioneering upstairs. Here are met many wonderful people and we also able to share our travel teaching encounters with them. It was a highly encouraging visit all round and we know the children were also inspired. Thanks Charles for helping make this a truly special visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home